Friday, November 12, 2010

My first blog from the MTC

my purpose is to invite others to come unto Chirst by helping them to accept the restored gospel through faith in Christ and His atonement, repentance, baptism, the conferming of the gift of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end. (i'm not sure if that is 100% correct in english because i know it in Italian... ) what a beautiful message. invite others to come unto Christ. that is what i am here for. it didn't start that way, but i am ecstatic that God put the things in my life that lead me here, becuase this was not initially my decision.
being in the accelerated italian class is not actually what i imagined at all, and i know that my experience here is definitely not the typical MTC experience. i am in an international district where the MTC clumps those people who are already bilingual and need only three weeks of training. there are 8 people in the class, two of us are americans who are bilingual. my companion is sister deagostini. she was raised in salt lake city, but her parents are native brazilians! how cooooool!!! she speaks beautiful portuguese with our roommate sister moriera who is also from brazil. in my class there are elders from fiji, brazil, and korea and sisters from germany, albania, korea, and taiwan. on my floor, there are two sisters from pakistan and many islanders. yesterday i met a sister in the cafeteria from vantuatu who told me, with an enmormous smile on her face, that she was the first missionary to serve a mission from her branch. she went to the temple in fiji to receive her endowment by herself before coming here, and she is going to serve in temple square. what an incredible person.  
last night we met our branch presidency and had the opportunity to each bear our testimonies. it was incredible and humbling to hear about how these people leave their countries, families and cultures for something they feel so strongly about. i felt so selfish. i remember clearly saying that i did not want to go on a mission. how wrong i was, and how sorry i am now for ever saying that. i hope i can be forgiven for my stubborness. one of the elders in our branch is from cambodia. he flew 18 hours and did not own a suit when he got here. fortunately there is a woman here to help the international missionaries with anything they need. they got him a suit, and i assume he is borrowing some shoes from someone because i noticed how big they are for him. elder ang will serve an incredible mission because of the sacrifices he has made.
i am so grateful to be here, and part of me wishes that my time here would never end. i cannot wait to go to the temple later today. i am so grateful for my companion. she also carries a huge water bottle and has to pee all the time. :) it's the little stuff that really counts.
 
today i drank: soymilk that was delightful
today i am wearing: my true shoes with the flowers. yay p-day!
today i am looking froward to: the LGM!!
today i pray: for more gratitude and humility.
 
love you all
sorella ashman

2 comments:

  1. I love it! The MTC is amazing. It's so fun to hear about your experiences this way - things sure have changed since I was a missionary. Have a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing your MTC and missionary experiences with us. I will tell Tanner to check your blog for updates. I am so excited for you. You are an amazing young women and Heavenly Father has a plan for you. Have a fantastic week!! Love you! Annette

    ReplyDelete