Friday, September 4, 2009

ce la faccio




Bad news first—I had a lot of frustrations today that I have to deal with tomorrow. I have to get a permit of residence. Sounds simple right? FALSE. I have to copy my entire passport, health insurance card, and the paper that confirms my visa, fill out some more papers, pay a tax at a tabbacheria, and then pay for the whole bleeping thing. That’s going to be a total of over 40 euros. And the secretary at the school asked me for my first 3 weeks rent (510 euros) which means I pay 170 euros a week to live half an hour away from the school and come back out to the country while all the city students hang out… (if you know me at all you know that I have a hug fear of missing out on all the fun.) I had to pay 30 euros for the bus pass to facilitate this. AND I was supposed to pay 10 euros to use the wireless at the school and 20 euros for the textbook, but I haven’t paid for the Internet yet because it sucks. And the list goes on and on. I REALLY wish that these people were upfront about all the little expenses.
Total for things that I didn’t know I had to pay for: 100 euros. That’s a lot of money that I don’t have. Ok I’m done complaining now ☺

Scholastically things are going marvelously. Class today was incredibile—my teacher is indescribably wonderful. There was a concept that I just was NOT getting because I had never uselearned it before and because there isn’t an equivalent in English. I was literally to the point of tears, and when there are only three people in the class you can’t pretend like you understand. I asked her to explain it again and she did. All of the sudden it made sense! The Spirit works in amazing ways, I’m telling you. Then we had to write sentences using this particular verb tense, and she said mine were perfect. It was a miracle.

The food here is SO good. Rita has to be the best cook in Tuscany. EVERYTHING has olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and rosemary. Rita cooks vegetables from her own garden. Yesterday, she served halved Roma tomatoes with oil and balsamic vinegar. OMG they were so delicious. A few days ago she made this insalta di pane. It was crumbled up bread with tomatoes, artichokes, mushrooms, cheese, some other vegetables, and of course oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and rosemary. She cooks everything from scratch and we eat less pasta than I thought I would. The gelato is unbelievable (ok for you people who are like “what about your money problems??” gelato is extremely affordable and when I have spare coins, I buy some.) The cinnamon flavor is the best. The only thing I don’t like is the way they do breakfast. They eat prepackaged muffins or like little Debbie type things. I usually end up eating fruit and bread. It is insane how much prepackaged food they eat here! Which brings me to my next point: recycling. I think the Italians think it’s a joke. No one recycles here! And with all that prepackaged crap and everyone drinking bottled water, I do not approve.



I spent today with all my awesome friends after school. My favorite thing about Europeans: they don’t mind waiting for other people. Example: I was looking for some black shoes today while we were walking to lunch. All my friends told me to go in and take my time. They all stood in a circle outside and talked. I don’t think I’ve ever had more patient friends. And anytime anyone stops to look at anything, everyone else waits for that one person, no eye rolling, no foot stomping, no checking of the watch. It’s wonderful!




So we went to the market today and my new bestie, Fabiano from Geneva Switzerland, bought me a cake for my birthday! He’s an interesting person. He has the swarthiest French accent and he used to work as a jewelry salesman. He seems like a fake character from a movie: a Frenchman who sells jewelry, eats organic food because “you can really feel zee diff’rinse,” buys women gifts for their birthdays, and come on—his name is Fabiano. He’s really awesome though, there’s something about him that I like. We talked a little about being Mormon and he told me about how he wants to set his own limits. This was a great quote, “I ‘ave no rools. Eez a paradocks, but I layke to set my own limitz.” Best part is, he said it while smoking a nice fresh cancer stick.

Ok well I suppose that is enough. Things are going really well, I can’t wait for church on Sunday, my friends are awesome, the weather is heavenly. I think I’ll finish watching Jurassic Park III and eat some Italian chex mix type stuff. They call it Snack Friends: Huge Party! Time for a huge party in my mouth. ☺

Today I bought: two pairs of Italian shoes for less than I was expecting to pay for one
Today I was reaffirmed in: my decision to study architecture
Today I wish I had: my carcerato with me
Today I was accused of: using Rita’s towel to clean off my make up

No comments:

Post a Comment